"A house does not have to be perfect to be a home of joy, a child does not have to behave perfectly to love and be loved, and every moment of life does not have to be perfect to be of value. Too often, I realize, we fail to see the glorious reality of the simple joy that abounds in the seemingly mundane routine of day-to-day living. Instead, we tend to idolize the past, idealize the future, and devalue the present.... What better way to show our appreciation to Heavenly Father for what we have than to embrace our lives, albeit 'ordinary' and 'unexciting,' with joy?"

--Winnie Dalley; Ensign, March 1998

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Stuck-um

Stuck-um. That is how Cooper says 'stuck.' Stuck-um is exactly what Cooper was today.

Stuck.

In a matter of oh, 90 seconds, Cooper went from playing in the living room, decorating our little kid-sized tree, to shrieking in terror. I ran from his room, where I was grabbing a pair of pants to put on him so we could go pick Chloe up from school, into the living room. I looked around, panicked. And then I saw his little legs sticking out from under the entertainment armoire that we have our tv and components in.

Somehow, he managed to squeeze and stretch just enough to get under the edge of the cabinet while trying to retrieve an ornament he had dropped that rolled under there. After a few attempts, I realized I was not going to be able to get him out all by myself. His head was much, much to big to get back out and the cabinet was much, much to heavy for me to lift. I had two choices, either Justin rushing home from work or call 911 and have some firemen come remove my "stuck-um" child.

Fortunately, Justin was able to rush home. I calmed Cooper down by giving him his blankets and letting him drink a few juice boxes. He was only partially hysterical by the time Justin got home 15 minutes later. Justin lifted the armoire and I pulled Cooper out.

So today, more than ever, I'm thankful for a strong husband that was able to save the day.

Also, please note, he is clutching the "retrieved" ornament through the entire ordeal.

4 comments:

Carissalayla said...

oh my gosh...poor Cooper. I would have freaked out and called the fire dept. but only to see hot firemen in my apartment :)

Jen said...

Poor Cooper! He looks so darling and helpless. I love the ornament that he clung to. You should write his name on it.
I'm glad Justin was able to get home so quick. Way to go my big strong brother!

Lena Baron said...

Bless his heart! And yours! That would be a bit traumatic!

Desiree said...

wow, that sounds scary. it is better that you didn't call 911, they might have sent child services as well. the story is just so fishy.. kind of like the wife who fell down the stairs, and now has a blue and black eye....
ha ha ha.

its good cooper was okay, lots to be thankful for.