"A house does not have to be perfect to be a home of joy, a child does not have to behave perfectly to love and be loved, and every moment of life does not have to be perfect to be of value. Too often, I realize, we fail to see the glorious reality of the simple joy that abounds in the seemingly mundane routine of day-to-day living. Instead, we tend to idolize the past, idealize the future, and devalue the present.... What better way to show our appreciation to Heavenly Father for what we have than to embrace our lives, albeit 'ordinary' and 'unexciting,' with joy?"

--Winnie Dalley; Ensign, March 1998

Monday, December 8, 2008

Lets talk carseats...

Ok, so here I am, climbing on to my soapbox... but just for a moment, so hear me out!

Lets talk extended rear facing. Did you know that a child rearfacing in their carseat is FIVE times safer than a child forward facing in their carseat?! FIVE times- that is huge! 20lbs and one year is the bare minimum for turning your child forward facing in their carseat. It is not the recommended, just the absolute, bare minimum. It is now recommended by the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) that a child stays rear facing until they reach the weight limit (usually 33 or 35lbs) of their carseat or their head reaches the top of the carseat shell.

For more info and to see a crash test comparison of forward facing vs. rear facing, please watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gU9zzCGA8

I'll save my booster seat lecture for another day and I promise my next post will include pictures of my super-cute kiddos!

1 comment:

Grossarths said...

Oh good! That makes me feel better that we haven't turned Jackson's carseat around yet! He wasn't even 20 lbs at his one year check up and we just haven't felt like looking for a new car seat yet. Thanks for the info!