"A house does not have to be perfect to be a home of joy, a child does not have to behave perfectly to love and be loved, and every moment of life does not have to be perfect to be of value. Too often, I realize, we fail to see the glorious reality of the simple joy that abounds in the seemingly mundane routine of day-to-day living. Instead, we tend to idolize the past, idealize the future, and devalue the present.... What better way to show our appreciation to Heavenly Father for what we have than to embrace our lives, albeit 'ordinary' and 'unexciting,' with joy?"

--Winnie Dalley; Ensign, March 1998

Friday, March 12, 2010

Potato Soup

I've challenged myself to cook one new recipe a week for dinner through the end of April. Last week was the chicken corn chowder and tonight I made a potato cheese soup. Yes, I like soups... a lot. The potato cheese soup was good, not too over-filling and seemed 'easy' to eat. Two thumbs up.


Potato Cheese Soup
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 TB olive oil
2 15oz cans chicken broth
5 small red potatoes diced with skins on
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/4-1/2 cup chopped carrot
2 cups milk
1/4 cup flour
2 cups cheddar cheese
1tsp parsley
1/2 tsp basil

In a medium stock pot add 2 cans of chicken broth. Saute onion in small skillet on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add to chicken broth. Add potatoes, carrots and celery. Bring to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are tender. Meanwhile add the milk and flour in a blender and blend well. Pour into soup mixture that is boiling. Stir until thickened. Turn heat off. Add cheese, parsley and basil. Stir until cheese is all melted and mixed in.

*I added some garlic powder, salt and pepper for additional flavoring.

2 comments:

Carissalayla said...

Do your kids eat soup? mine, not so much so I never make it but I might give it a try!

Melonee said...

Chloe does, but Cooper doesn't. I just throw a few chicken nuggets in the oven or make a pb&j sandwich for him too. I still serve him soup and we try to get him to try it, but I don't really expect that he will.