"A house does not have to be perfect to be a home of joy, a child does not have to behave perfectly to love and be loved, and every moment of life does not have to be perfect to be of value. Too often, I realize, we fail to see the glorious reality of the simple joy that abounds in the seemingly mundane routine of day-to-day living. Instead, we tend to idolize the past, idealize the future, and devalue the present.... What better way to show our appreciation to Heavenly Father for what we have than to embrace our lives, albeit 'ordinary' and 'unexciting,' with joy?"

--Winnie Dalley; Ensign, March 1998

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Pardon me while I brag for a moment

I've been wanting a new dining room table for a few months now. We have the typical starter dining room set of a smaller-sized natural colored pine farm table with matching chairs that we bought when we got married. I decided a few months ago that I want a round dining room table with a leaf, preferably in black. It hasn't been a priority because it isn't something we need, just something I want and we definately don't have the budget to just go out and buy a new dining room table on a whim! I've been watching Craigslist and scoping out garage sales hoping to "stumble" upon my dream table without luck.

I was in Pottery Barn over the weekend with my mom and I stopped to admire my dream table. Solid wood, round with a leaf, black... It was gorgeous! And, marked all the way down to $500 (insert sarcasm here) because of the huge chunks missing off the edges where it was obviously dropped on its side.


So, imagine my suprise two days later when I stopped into Goodwill (the thrift store) and there sitting amongst the furniture was a round, black dining room table (with a leaf!). Upon further inspection, I realize it is the Pottery Barn table that I had been admiring (but not the damaged one from the store). Someone must have had a mishap because the top does need to be refinished, but it is nothing we can't do ourselves. So, now for my brag... I bought a $899 Pottery Barn table for $59.99.

I'm on cloud nine! Now I just need to "stumble" upon some chairs!

1 comment:

Lena Baron said...

Don't you love those fun "lift up your mood and motivation" blessings!!! :)